LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF LITCHFIELD COUNTY
Minutes of the December 3, 2018 Board Meeting
Litchfield Community Center
Present: Jackie Miller, Martha Bernstein, Bibby Veerman, Marie Wallace, Diane Ryan, Marilyn Lieff, Kerry Mayers, Lois Keen, Bernie Harrington, Paula Rolleston and Christine Horrigan
Call to Order: President Kerry Mayers called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.
Minutes: Marilyn Lieff made a motion to accept the minutes of the October 1 meeting as amended to correct the spelling of Veerman. Bibby seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report: Christine Horrigan shared the treasurer’s report encouraging more to contribute.
1) Kerry to send letter to members re: upcoming events plus remind them about outreach
2) Thank you note in works. Carolyn Master helping with drafting.
Discussion RE: Give Local. Bibby will ask someone from Community Foundation to send info to Kerry.
Immigration Program: Martha & Diane report. The Nation of Immigrants Program with Kevin Jennings on November 17 at the Litchfield Historical Society very successful. There was a waiting list to get in. There has been a request for a second engagement. Diane Ryan coordinated the reception.
A bus trip to the Tenement Museum, NYC is scheduled for Dec 4 and is the follow-up of the talk by Kevin Jennings. The Litchfield Community Center is handling the transportation arrangements. The League had put a deposit down for two tours but changed it to one tour. 30 people have signed up.
1) Bernie reported that The Legislators’ Breakfast is scheduled for Sat 9:30 a.m.. January 26, 2019 at the Congregational Church in Litchfield. Letters have gone out. Encourage people to bring friends. Diane will coordinate the reception with new tablecloths.
3) Motion to change name from Annual International Luncheon to Annual Spring Luncheon Lois/ Marie. Motion approved unanimously. This event will also be a celebration of 50th anniversary of LWVLC (honoring founders). Martha will invite Lt. Gov Susan Bysiewicz (back up: Denise Merrill) or Jahana Hayes, first black congresswoman from Connecticut
4) Date selected: early May 2019
Other speakers: Paula will explore speaker option for ‘Tales from the Border” talk either in spring or fall. Martha will try to set up another talk by Kevin Jennings.
Active Shooter Training Presentations
• 1/7 Community Center, 7:00 p.m., 30 people. Roughly 5 organizations’ staffs
• 1/12 & 1/13 Catholic Churches- Litchfield, Goshen, Bantam
• 2/18 churches
• April 27 Fair Grounds
5) Annual Meeting – June 2019 – Business meeting, Elect board – Speaker?
Motion- motion made to not do Small Towns/ Big Issues as a topic. Unanimously passed.
Potential topics: Transportation, tolls, & improvements
Invite Chris Murphy to discuss Europe
Adjournment: A motion was made by Marilyn Lieff, seconded by Lois Keen, and passed unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 10:15 a.m.
1/3/19 next BOD meeting
Paula Rolleston, Recording Secretary