LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF LITCHFIELD COUNTY
Minutes of the January 7, 2019 Board Meeting
Litchfield Community Center
Present: Jackie Miller, Martha Bernstein, Bibby Veerman, Marie Wallace, Diane Ryan, Kerry Mayers, Lois Keen, Bernie Harrington, Paula Rolleston and Christine Horrigan, Doreen Deary and welcomed guest – Marie Pettibone
Call to Order: President Kerry Mayers called the meeting to order at 9:02 a.m.
Programs: Martha & Diane report. The bus trip to the Tenement Museum, NYCDec. 4 successful. Bus issue may result in refund to be split with LCC.
Another presentation by Kevin Jennings has been planned with Litchfield Historical Society and Martha will follow-up with Kate.
- Bernie reported that The Legislators’ Breakfast is scheduled for Sat 9:30 a.m. January 26, 2019 at the Congregational Church in Litchfield. Letters have gone out. Encourage people to bring friends. Diane will coordinate. Asking members to bring food.
- Annual Luncheon in May: Motion to change name from Annual International Luncheon to Annual Spring Luncheon- Lois/ Marie. Motion approved unanimously. This event will also be a celebration of 50th anniversary of LWVLC (honoring founders). Martha will invite Lt. Gov. Susan Bysiewicz (back up: Denise Merrill) or Jahana Hayes, first black congresswoman from Connecticut. Targeting early May 2019 with flyers, invitations, emails, and promotions to go out a month prior.
- Other speakers: Paula will explore speaker option for ‘Tales from the Border” talk either in spring or fall. Martha will try to set up another talk by Kevin Jennings.
Minutes: Bibby made a motion to accept the minutes of the December meeting and Bernie seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.
Educational Fund: Bernie reported raised almost $3,000.
Discussion followed with regards to the Torrington Region 1 Scholarships (5@$100 each to students interested in Government: Sheppaug, WAMOGO and Torrington, Litchfield, Housatonic Valley) Paula made a motion to raise amount to $200, Lois seconded and all agreed. Instead of sending outreach letter in 5 years do it in 3. Rename the scholarship “Founders Fund”. Martha and Bibby to pull together a concept. The creation of the fund to be mentioned/presented at the 100th Anniv. Luncheon. Doreen to write an article
Treasurer’s Report: Christine Horrigan shared the treasurer’s report.
Lunch and learn: Lois
Recap 1/17/19 12:30, will be an open discussion and debriefing of the immigration presentation.
Active Shooter Training Presentations – Limited to 30 people. Sign up with Lynn Fulkerson
- 1/7 Community Center, 7:00 p.m., 30 people. Roughly 5 organizations’ staffs. Sold out.
- 1/12 & 1/13 Catholic Churches- Litchfield, Goshen, Bantam
- 2/17 Sunday churches
- April 27 Fair Grounds
Annual Meeting – June 2019 – Business meeting, Elect board – Speaker? Home of Joyce Briggs? Kerry to ask.
Publicity-Pictures wanted. Project forms for events needed:
- Martha- Immigration
- Bernie- Legislative B’fast
- Gun Safety (low profile)
- LWVCT Advocacy Workshop 1/8, Jane McMann’s daughter will attend
- 2 volunteers for the nominating committee needed. 2 board and 1 general member.2018’s committee consisted of Sara Hayes, Jackie Miller, and Bibby Veerman.
Other: Martha suggested signing up for ctnewsjunkie.com an on-line aggregator of news.
Adjournment: A motion was made and seconded and passed unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 10:30 a.m.
2/4/19 next BOD meeting, Lois to lead.
Respectfully submitted, Paula Rolleston, Recording Secretary